for information describing items in the repository
- Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
- No metadata re-use policy defined. Assume no rights at all have been granted.
for full-text and other full data items
- Anyone may access full items free of charge.
- No full-item re-use policy defined. Assume no rights at all have been granted.
for types of document & data set held
- This is an institutional or departmental repository.
- BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online holds all types of materials except:Theses and dissertations
- Deposited items may include:
- accepted versions (author's final peer-reviewed drafts)
- published versions (publisher-created files)
- Items are individually tagged with their publication status.
- Principal Languages: English
concerning depositors, quality & copyright
- Items may only be deposited by accredited members, academic staff, registered students, and employees of the institution
- Authors may only submit their own work for archiving.
- Eligible depositors must deposit bibliographic metadata for all their publications.
- Eligible depositors must deposit full texts of all their publications, although they may delay making them publicly visible to comply with publishers' embargos.
- The administrator only vets items for the eligibility of authors/depositors, relevance to the scope of BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online, and valid layout & format
- The validity and authenticity of the content of submissions is the sole responsibility of the depositor.
- Items can be deposited at any time, but will not be made publicly visible until any publishers' or funders' embargo period has expired.
- Any copyright violations are entirely the responsibility of the authors/depositors.
- If BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed immediately.
- Items will be retained indefinitely.
- No functional specification policy has been defined.
- BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
- Items may not normally be removed from BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online.
- Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- Legal requirements and proven violations
- National Security
- Falsified research
- Withdrawn items are not deleted per se, but are removed from public view.
- Withdrawn items' identifiers/URLs are retained indefinitely.
- URLs will continue to point to 'tombstone' citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories.
- The metadata of withdrawn items will not be searchable.
- If necessary, an updated version may be deposited.
- The earlier version may be withdrawn from public view.
- The item's persistent URL will always link to the latest version.
- No closure policy defined.