BIROn - Birkbeck Institutional Research Online

    Explicit and implicit own’s body and space perception in painful musculoskeletal disorders and rheumatic diseases: a systematic scoping review

    Viceconti, A. and Camerone, E.M. and Luzzi, D. and Pentassuglia, D. and Pardini, M. and Ristori, D. and Rossettini, G. and Gallace, A. and Longo, Matthew R. and Testa, M. (2020) Explicit and implicit own’s body and space perception in painful musculoskeletal disorders and rheumatic diseases: a systematic scoping review. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience , ISSN 1662-5161.

    [img] Text
    31073.pdf - Author's Accepted Manuscript
    Restricted to Repository staff only

    Download (591kB)
    31073a.pdf - Published Version of Record
    Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

    Download (2MB) | Preview


    Background: Pain and body perception are essentially two subjective mutually influencing experiences. However, in the field of musculoskeletal disorders and rheumatic diseases we lack of a comprehensive knowledge about the relationship between body perception dysfunctions and pain or disability. We systematically mapped the literature published about the topics of: a) somatoperception; b) body ownership; and c) perception of space, analysing the relationship with pain and disability. The results were organized around the two main topics of the assessment and treatment of perceptual dysfunctions. Methods: This scoping review followed the six-stage methodology suggested by Arksey and O’Malley. Ten electronic databases and grey literature were systematically searched. The PRISMA Extension for Scoping Reviews was used for reporting results. Two reviewers with different background, independently performed study screening and selection, and one author performed data extraction, that was checked by a second reviewer. Results: Thirty-seven studies fulfilled the eligibility criteria. The majority of studies (68%) concerned the assessment methodology, and the remaining 32% investigated the effects of therapeutic interventions. Research designs, methodologies adopted, and settings varied considerably across studies. Evidence of distorted body experience were found mainly for explicit somatoperception, especially in studies adopting self-administered questionnaire and subjective measures, highlighting in some cases the presence of sub-groups with different perceptual features. Almost half of the intervention studies (42%) provided therapeutic approaches combining more than one perceptual task, or sensory-motor tasks together with perceptual strategies, thus it was difficult to estimate the relative effectiveness of each single therapeutic component. Conclusions: To our knowledge, this is the first attempt to systematically map and summarize this research area in the field of musculoskeletal disorders and rheumatic diseases. Although methodological limitations limit the validity of the evidence obtained, some strategies of assessment tested and therapeutic strategies proposed represent useful starting points for future research. This review highlights preliminary evidence, strengths, and limitations of the literature published about the research questions, identifying key points that remain opened to be addressed, and make suggestions for future research studies. Body representation, as well as pain perception and treatment, can be better understood if an enlarged perspective including body and space perception is considered.


    Item Type: Article
    School: Birkbeck Faculties and Schools > Faculty of Science > School of Psychological Sciences
    Depositing User: Matthew Longo
    Date Deposited: 24 Apr 2020 14:13
    Last Modified: 02 Aug 2023 17:58


    Activity Overview
    6 month trend
    6 month trend

    Additional statistics are available via IRStats2.

    Archive Staff Only (login required)

    Edit/View Item Edit/View Item